These are good to try when weaning off medication (but be sure to talk to your doctor first!)
- Sleep-boosting food. There are A LOT of foods that really help with sleep! Oatmeal with walnuts is a great food to eat at anytime, but especially before bed. Everyone's body is different and we all process food differently. I recommend looking up the best foods for natural melatonin, the sleep inducing hormone, and see what works best for you (kale, cherry juice, almonds, chamomile tea and raw honey work for me).
- Eating healthier in general. Salads, power foods, high fiber, more calcium, all of it helps (beans, nuts, quinoa).
- Not restricting calories. I'm not saying eat anything, but just make sure you aren't undereating (especially if you're working out a lot). I learned very early that my low daily calorie intake didn't help my blood sugar levels, which can hinder seretonin production needed for sleep.
- Homeopathy. The jury is still out on whether this works, but I think it helped with my sleep anxiety, especially in the beginning. I spoke to my mom’s friend who is a professional homeopathy practitioner and she gave me her recommendation based on my symptoms. But I only did for the time she told me to.
- Ashwagandha Herbs. I took them for a few months to help me, especially at the beginning of my ‘sleep solutions,’ journey. I don’t know the long term effects, but I would say that you should use them to help in the beginning with the intent of weaning yourself off. For all I know it’s a placebo, but either way it helped me get to where I needed to. These are the ones I took. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P0GTQY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Here’s also an article about these vitamins. https://lifespa.com/5-reasons-use-ashwagandha-sleep/.
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt. Another remedy that really works for deep sleep is pink himalayan sea salt and raw honey. It almost works too well, so I use it only when I really need it. Check out the following link: https://i-dream-of-sleep.com/how-to-take-raw-honey-to-sleep-great-and-feel-awesome-in-the-morning/
- Nutmeg. You can put a little in milk at night. It definitely works, but you shouldn't take too much either. I used it when I first started so it might be a good way to wean off of medication.